LET TAIWAN BE TAIWAN
Statement read by FAPA president Wen-yen
Chen, on behalf of the Coalition for Taiwan Sovereignty
Washington, D.C. April 8, 1999
- has a defined territory ·
- is populated by 22 million freedom-loving Taiwanese
- is governed by a democracy with a freely-elected president
- has a vibrant economy
- contributes generously to world charity and peace causes
- has never been ruled for even a single day by the People's
Republic of China.
- remains the largest Communist country in the world
- sustains the most unrepentant totalitarian regime on this earth
- abuses the human rights of its own people
- oppresses religious freedom
- continues its brutal occupation of Tibet
- exports nuclear technology to Iraq and Pakistan
- attempts illegal takeover of the Spratly Islands in the western
- perpetrates imperial territorial claims over Taiwan
- tried to undermine the 1996 Taiwanese presidential election
- now aims many of its missiles at Taiwan
- constantly threatens the use of force against Taiwan
- pilfers American rocket technology
- steals atomic secrets from the United States
- engages in espionage against American defense establishment
- conducts unfair trade practices resulting in huge U.S. deficits.
Therefore we call on President Clinton and the U.S. government
- insist on the release of jailed Chinese dissidents.
- urge substantive negotiations between Tibet and China.
- demand Chinese renunciation of the use of force against Taiwan.
- promote Taiwan's entry into world organizations, including WTO,
WHO and the U.N.
- extend the theater missile defense umbrella to Taiwan.
- uphold American ideals of freedom and democracy and let the 22
million people of Taiwan determine their own future.